Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Started a Real Haskell Project!

I have been working on a Haskell implementation of GEP (really PGEP because I don't like GEP's complexity) and I finally made it an official project, with source control through darcs, and available through cabal! The project is just called hgep, for Haskell Gene Expression Programming.

While there is at least one other Haskell GEP project, it is too deeply meshed with GEP's way of doing things, and I need the ability to change any part of the system at any time to introduce new ideas (for research). Also, I've wanted a large Haskell project to get me familiar with the language for a while now.

At the moment the project can perform a simple GA, where the fitness function is to interpret the individuals as a binary number and apply f(x) = x^2, and a simple symbolic regression PGEP problem. The PGEP section of the code is terribly slow, and needs a lot of work to add BPGEP and more machinery to allow me (and I guess anyone else, if someone were so inclined) to add new experiments and algorithms as easily as possible without locking too much into place. In fact, I don't plan on locking much in place at all- the project will be mostly components that can be fit together to construct an evolutionary algorithm, but will have to be put together from scratch almost every time (hopefully with some amount of help from the framework).

No comments:

Post a Comment